“Content is king. Content is key for effective Marketing.” These statements are common and are made to impress upon entrepreneurs the importance of relevant and updated content.
While the What is important when it comes to content marketing, so is the Where & How.
The diverse formats and modes of content marketing dispersion have created a niche for every kind of content being placed on the internet.
It is important to understand the workings and impact of content placement in these channels.
Here are some answers to the What, Where & How of Content Creation –
Information can be published or distributed via online marketing in any of the following formats, based on the nature and purpose of the information being shared and the target audience.
Photo – Images
Video – Moving Images, Animation
E-Newsletter – Digital newspaper that hits your inbox periodically
Blog – Virtual diary / log. Text, images or both
Webinar – Web based seminar
Podcast – Series of digital media (audio or video) available for download / subscription
Infographic – Visual depiction of data.
White Paper – Summarized report based on research. Takes an official stand on an issue.
Case Study – In-depth analysis of a person, project or situation
Ebook – Electronic book
News & Updates – Information on happenings and events
Various social media and digital platforms allow you to share specific content, keeping in mind the audience the particular content piece caters to. A user creates an account or logs in to any of these sites if he or she is interested in viewing and sharing information of a specific nature and format.
Here are some examples of content marketing and the respective channels –
Photos and Images are uploaded, shared and jointly viewed on –
Videos are viewed on –
Newsletters & Email Marketing campaigns are sent out using –
Blogs are maintained, published and followed on sites such as –
Audio files are downloaded / uploaded to –
Documents / Presentations/ Whitepapers / Case Studies are shared on
Infographics can be designed online using
News & Updates on various sites can now be received via –
- RSS Feeds
The most prominent channels of course are Social Networking platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+, Quora, Foursquare) where a good mix of the aforementioned media are shared, tagged, and exchanged in forums.
Social Bookmarking is another form of a social imprint with people tagging websites online and sharing their favorite bookmarks with friends. These sites help you sift through topics on the basis of popularity and based on categories such as sports, technology, news, shopping etc. Sites such as Reddit, Stumble Upon, Delicious, Digg have made this activity popular.
So, where does one start.
– Technically your website and blog are the only two platforms you are in complete control of. Design, content, volume, location. You call the shots without any restrictions. Thus let these showcase your content in the best way possible.
– Make sure the content can be viewed and downloaded from either one of these – website or blog.
– Once uploaded on your blog or site, share and pitch the blog posts, thereby encouraging sharing, tagging, retweeting, all of which finally leads to a platform that is solely yours – Blog / Website.
– The content embedded onto a Blog, the posts and media in it can be reshared through Email Campaigns, newsletters and sent to RSS subscribers.
– To widen your reach, upload or share the content to sites that cater to that format specifically (For instance pictures on Instagram or Pinterest, videos on YouTube). Content posted on these sites can also be directed to other social media platforms, thereby expanding its reach.
In order to serve its purpose content needs to be carefully packaged and promoted.